How to write a Dissertation
Many students face a lot of problems writing a dissertation. Thus, they need the help of professional writers very often. Besides, there are various meanings of the word "dissertation". You may compose this type of academic paper in your baccalaureate program, or while getting your master's degree, or mostly in a Ph.D. program. However, all these differences are not significant. Writing a dissertation is a complicated process. Thus, this article aims to provide you with a useful step-by-step guide on how to write a dissertation whether you are a bachelor, a magister, or a postgraduate. We have collected and analyzed the best tips from Ph.D. consultants, and you may get acquainted with their pieces of advice right now.
Learn how to write a dissertation following these five tips
Tip 1: Dissertation proposal
Have you ever heard about a dissertation proposal? It is a piece of paper that briefly describes your whole dissertation. It aims to convince everyone around that your academic writing is vital and attractive. Remember that you should not write the whole paper at this stage. Even if your university does not require a dissertation proposal, you had better write it. It will help you to identify your theme, research question, title, topicality, etc. Therefore, you will have a chance to discuss your ideas with your supervisor or friends. Here are some tips concerning how to write a dissertation proposal.
1) Choose and consider all possible variants of the dissertation topic. Pay attention to such things as topicality, novelty, scientific and social importance.
2) Academic writing should be well-structured. Writing a dissertation proposal should include such categories as:
- The previous title of your dissertation.
- Objectives (focus on at least three subjects you would like to analyze and make some conclusions).
- Make up the list of some exclusive and impressive literature, which you will use for your dissertation.
- Formulate your research question and determine the field of study.
- Familiarize the readers with the most significant and crucial research methods and approaches, which you will use to achieve desirable results.
- Make some prediction concerning your dissertation outcomes and what kind of impact they would have.
- Present your research schedule with the information concerning what type of work you will do and how much time you will need at each stage of writing a dissertation.
- The last one is the list of references (if required).
Tip 2: Collecting and analyzing
All academic writings require reading a vast amount of scientific books, articles, etc. Thus, you should realize that you cannot become familiar with all materials at once. Choose the most significant ones. Also, your success depends on the topic you have chosen. Avoid choosing a broad dissertation topic, since you will need a lot of time to explore all necessary materials in this case. Demonstrate that you have enough knowledge to give your own opinion concerning this topic.
Do not forget to make some notes during reading. Find out and write down some compelling arguments, which you may use further. There are many online programs: Evernote, Penzu, etc. Thus, you will not lose time for re-finding them again among hundreds of books and articles.
Ask your supervisor to advise you some newest books and article to read. Also, you may surf the internet, go to the library, etc. in order to find out, collect and verify all necessary materials concerning your academic writing topic.
Tip 3: Writing
Academic writing is a particular type of paper that requires scientific style, terminology, concepts, etc. Thus, many students do not know how to write a dissertation correctly.
Follow your previous dissertation structure. Remember that you should answer all previous questions and make up the whole picture of your work. Of course, you may use some help from professional writers or follow these simple and straightforward dissertation structure tips:
1) Introduction: Consider the background of your topic and present the dissertation research question. Also, you may add some own predictions or expectations.
2) Review of literature: Sum up the main ideas of the most significant and newest books, articles, and pieces of research concerning your topic.
3) Methods and approaches: Do not be in a hurry! Describe in depth all your research methods and strategies (type, aims, results, etc.) and their practical appliance in your paper.
4) Findings: Collect and analyze all results, which you received thanks to your methods, and approaches. Now, you should present them to your readers and explain some of the most significant parts of your research paper.
5) Conclusions: Summarize the received results answering the research question; underline the importance of your dissertation and its effects on the current situation. Also, you may add such section as "Recommendations for future research" where you are supposed to present new possible future research topics.
6) Bibliography: Provide the list of the materials, which you used in your dissertation to make it more scientific.
Do not be afraid of mistakes. Nobody knows how to write a dissertation, especially at the first time. Write the first draft following the given structure. This process may take a lot of time. Thus, be patient and manage your time correctly.
Tips 4: Editing & Proofreading
Writing a dissertation is a long and complicated process. Thus, you might make some logical and grammatical mistakes in your research paper. That is why many students ask for the help of professional writers. However, it is possible to check your dissertation in two steps:
Editing - looking for logical, content, and information mistakes.
Proofreading - finding out some grammatical, spelling, form (structure) mistakes.
Ask your friends or supervisor to help you if it is necessary.
Tip 5: Feedback
Do not be in a hurry! Give someone to read your dissertation and get feedback. You may address your friends or find the help of professional writers. They can share their experience on how to write a dissertation, and it will help you to improve some parts of your research paper.
To sum up, we should claim that writing a dissertation might be easy if you follow such general rules as:
1) be hard-working, do not procrastinate.
2) do not be afraid to ask for the help of professional writers, supervisor, or friends.
3) get acquainted with the primary dissertation requirements and tips given in this article.